|THE LEONARD BRAITHWAITE PROGRAM
Winston Churchill Collegiate Institute
Below is information with regard to the Leonard Braithwaite program. As well, following the information is
a contact us form which you can fill out should you require more details.
Do you require more information? Have questions? Please fill out the following form...
General Information about the Program
The Leonard Braithwaite program is being introduced for the first time at the secondary school level in Canada
because there is an overwhelming opportunity gap in education for black students. This is not an africentric school or
even a school within a school, it is a program that will provide students an alternative way of learning while still being
a part of the Winston Churchill community.
The program will offer grade 9 students the opportunity to learn through an africentric lens in the core subject areas.
The courses will be a part of a de-streamed model which means that the learning and teaching has been reconfigured
to meet the needs of all students in the classroom. The courses will be designated as academic in order to provide
students with the most choice for future pathways; however, through the use of layered curriculum, students will
reach the required expectations in their own way even if they are currently not at the academic level. [Layered
curriculum means that students move towards the same expectations taking different paths. One student may only
need to complete one assignment to reach a particular expectation where as another may student need to do 4
assignments that build on one another to reach that same expectation].
We as a school feel that this program will help address some of the issues surrounding the opportunity gap facing our
black students. With the introduction of our Advanced Placement program as well, the students of Winston Churchill
will have more choice. Our ultimate goal is to have students succeed and right now the best way of helping student
achieve is by providing them choice. The program is open for everyone and all students are welcome.
Specific questions about courses?
- Here are the courses abstracts which outline what courses are being offered and their description
- Please obtain an application by picking it up at our school (and it can be found here on our website)
- The application is to be completed and returned to WCCI
- 4 pages, both student and parent needs to complete
Why is there an application process?
- We want to ensure that students and parents have all the necessary information about the program
- We want to ensure that both the student and parents are interested in the program, we want to see the
interest and participation of the entire family to ensure success in the program
- The application provides us with some insight into the student and parents needs
My child is not at an academic level? All the courses are academic – does that mean that my child cannot attend
- No, the program is de-streamed
- All courses have been designated academic because that will allow students to have the most choice
for grades 11 and 12
- The way the courses have been designed and will be taught is utilizing a method called Layered
- Layered curriculum means that students move towards the same expectations taking different
paths. One student may only need to complete one assignment to reach a particular expectation
whereas another student needs to do 4 assignments that build on one another to reach that same
Will my child be segregated from the rest of the school?
- No, students in the program will still be a part of the WCCI community
- Students in the program will be encouraged to get involved with clubs, extra curriculars and sport
What else does Churchill offer?
- A large variety of sports teams and clubs
- Student council and the athletic council which host numerous events throughout the year
- Breakfast and lunch programs
- Social workers on staff
- Community partnerships such as SWOLE, RISE, girls groups etc. click here to see
- AP Program for grade 12 students – Advanced placement allows students to earn university credits
early and gives them an advantage when applying
- Technology Rich – we are well resourced in technology here at Churchill